|Back to Back Issues Page|
Elon's BIG life goals!
February 15, 2021
Who has big life goals?
Before we begin: If you enjoy my newsletters, please forward it along. If someone forwarded this to you, click here to sign up https://www.100goalsclub.com/life-goals-club-membership.html
100 Goals Club is a complimentary newsletter that specializes in helping you plan your life goals in 10 important areas:
1. Personal Development
2. Health and Fitness
3. Family and Friends
4. Hobbies and Passions
10. Leaving a Legacy / Giving Back
You are part of an exclusive group of goalsters (someone who understands the importance of life goals)! This email is going out to 858 email subscribers.
Look for newsletters on the 1st and 15th of each month!
You are receiving this email because you expressed an interest in life goals. Remove your email by clicking unsubscribe below at any time.
Inspiring quotesThe following quotes are all from Elon Musk:
"When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor."
"There have to be reasons that you get up in the morning and you want to live. Why do you want to live? What's the point? What inspires you? What do you love about the future?
"When Henry Ford made cheap, reliable cars, people said, 'Nah, what's wrong with a horse?' That was a huge bet he made, and it worked."
Elon Musk has Big Goals!In June 2019, I bought my dream car, a Tesla Model 3. This completed one of my lifestyle goals written at age 30. You can read more about this at
Little did I know that buying my Model 3 would lead to a personal fascination with the man behind Tesla, Elon Musk.
Elon is considered by many to be the most important entrepreneur of our time. Elon has started some of the most significant companies in the world:
Zip 2 Corporation - Started it in 1995 and sold it in 1999 for $ 307M to a division of Compaq Computer Corp
PayPal - Started it in 1999 and sold it in 2002 to eBay for $ 1.5B
SpaceX - Founded in 2002, with the intention of building spacecraft for commercial space travel. Elon runs this company today.
Tesla Motors - Took over the company in 2003, a company dedicated to producing affordable, mass-market electric cars, battery systems, solar roofs. Tesla is currently valued at approx $ 800B and this has made Elon the richest man in the world. TESLA'S MAIN GOAL IS TO ACCELERATE THE WORLD'S TRANSITION TO SUSTAINABLE ENERGY!
The Boring Company - In January 2017, Elon launched the Boring Company, devoted to boring and building tunnels in order to reduce street traffic.
From Elon Musks master plan from 2006, his goals were to:
1. Build sports car
2. Use that money to build an affordable car
3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car
4. While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options
From an article by Bloomberg Business week, following are a sampling of some of Elon's past and yet to be completed specific goals for Tesla:
Roadster Launch by Mid 2007 - Completed
Model S Launch in 2011 - Completed in 2012
Autopilot Launch - Completed October 2014
Model X Launch by 2013 - Completed in 2015
Model 3 Launch for July 2017 - Completed 5 months early
Install the world's largest grid battery in Australia - Completed Nov 2017
500,000 cars produced in a year - target 2018 - completed in 2020
1 million cars produced in a year - target 2020 - potential to complete this year if his two new factories complete as planned
Tesla Valued at $ 700 Billion (announced in 2015 with a target of 2025) - achieved in 2020
Half of U.S. Vehicles to be electric by 2027 - TBD
All U.S. Cars to be Autonomous by 2027 - TBD
Produce 20 million electric vehicles a year by 2030 - TBD
For SpaceX, his biggest goal is "MAKING HUMANS A MULTI-PLANETARY SPECIES", in order to ensure the longevity of the human species.
Needless to say, Elon is one of the most innovative and successful entrepreneurs of our time!
I've watched 100+ hours of YouTube videos about Tesla and my wife Kathy and I are now big investors in Tesla based on our conviction on the future of sustainable energy, electric vehicles, autonomous driving and battery storage technologies. Tesla is considered a generational type company, one of very few companies that transform society for an entire generation, in the same category of companies like Amazon and Apple.
The 10 Goal Categories and ElonElon has been very public about his career goals. For most people, Elon sets what I call "Outrageous" goals, and achieves them! He doesn't always get the timing right, but he always get them done.
Following is some general observation that I've picked up in learning about Elon, across the 10 life goal categories at 100 Goals Club.
1. Personal Development - Elon is a massive reader. He has been an avid reader from a young age and is largely self taught. He even taught himself to be a rocket scientist, being the chief engineer at Space X during the early days. The biggest takeaway for me is that reading is important for a successful entrepreneur. I highly suggest you read all you can about Elon. He is rumoured to be in the early stages of writing his first book about his principles and his life. Can't wait to read it!
2. Health and Fitness - Elon works 80-100 hour weeks and is not a huge fan of exercise, although he reportedly tries to exercise 1-2 week a week running on a tread mill and/or lifting weights. Elon appears to be in reasonable good health although I suspect this area takes a back seat to his career.
3. Family and Friends - Elon has a large family. He has been married twice and has six sons, including a baby boy with his partner, the musician Grimes. He has two siblings, Kimbal and Tosca. His mother is a supermodel and he has cousins who have sold two companies for millions of dollars. Elon is estranged from his father.
From what I've read, in-spite of his crazy work ethic and schedule, he still finds significant time to spend with his children and is very much active in their life.
4. Hobbies and Passions - Elon has a love for HBO’s premium programming, and has a serious love for video gaming.
He has a ton of passions which seem to end up with him starting or transforming a company as he pursues it.
5. Financial - Money doesn't seem to be a huge motivator for Elon in-spite of him being the richest man in the world. Elon almost went bankrupt with both Tesla and SpaceX and put them both on the line. Money will never be a concern for Elon or his family, given his ability to start and run successful companies.
6. Career - Elon briefly attended the University of Pretoria before moving to Canada aged 17 to attend Queen's University. He transferred to the University of Pennsylvania two years later, where he received dual bachelor's degrees in economics and physics. He moved to California in 1995 to attend Stanford University but decided instead to pursue a business career, co-founding web software company Zip2 with his brother Kimbal. The rest is history.
One of the things Elon seems to take pride in is sleeping in his factories during extreme times of challenges or production ramp-ups. He wants his employees to know that he is as committed as anyone in the company to its success and leads by example. Many would view him to be a workaholic. I would have to agree.
Elon's career will be studied for decades and perhaps hundreds of years in the future, as one of the biggest entrepreneurs of our time.
7. Adventure - Elon believes that a life worth living must include adventure. For Elon, his biggest sense of adventure comes from planning a multi-planetary species where humans can live on Mars and elsewhere. Adventure is a major driver for Elon.
8. Travel - Elon has had bad things happen to him while on vacations and he has publicly stated that he is not a fan of travelling from a vacation standpoint. He has companies and giga factories either built or being built in places like China, Berlin, Texas and just recently India. He also has his own private jets so travel is something that is big part of his life.
9. Lifestyle - Elon enjoys a billionaire lifestyle, with massive mansions, private jets and James Bond cars. He has a luxurious lifestyle to say the least. He of course has a fascination with cars and speed.
Elon has owned numerous estates in California but recently sold as a way to simplify his life and support his move to the Austin TX area where they are building his latest factory in Austin TX which will build their Cybertruck and Semi's.
Elon enjoys a lifestyle that many dream about and few achieve.
10. Leaving a Legacy / Giving Back - This perhaps the biggest thing that Elon will be remembered for, leaving a legacy through his work in advancing life to sustainable energy.
Addressing climate change is the most important and urgent challenge of civilization. Having someone like Elon Musk recognize and embrace this challenge as one of his LIFE GOALS and core ambitons is such a major legacy for him and the world.
While it would be easy to think that a man as driven by success as Elon Musk might be too far out of balance in terms of these 10 life goal categories. I'm not so sure.
This man is someone who writes down his life goals, is serious about them, and goes on to achieve them. There are t-shirts that are imprinted with "Don't bet against Elon", signifying his commitment to achieving his goals!
How are your life goals coming?How is the writing down of your life goals coming?
Are you on track to write down your goals? Written down 5, 10, 20 or more? If you haven't started yet, what is holding you back?
While there are times that are better than others for writing down your goals, there is also no time like the present!
Don't feel you need to write out 100 life goals to be successful. Start small and build.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know how you are doing or what is holding you back.
Next newsletter . . .My next newsletter on March 1st will reflect on what it takes to develop a good plan for your career, offering tips for someone planning their career options.
Brian Klodt founder of the 100 Goals Club
CREATE YOUR HAPPY LIFE! https://www.100goalsclub.com
|Back to Back Issues Page|