|Back to Back Issues Page|
Goal setting: the key to turning New Year's resolutions into reality
December 31, 2022
Goals vs. New Years Resolutions
Before we begin: If you enjoy this newsletter, please forward it along. If someone forwarded this to you, click here to sign up https://www.100goalsclub.com/life-goals-club-membership.html
100 Goals Club is a complimentary newsletter that specializes in helping you plan your life goals in 10 important areas.
1. Personal Development
2. Health and Fitness
3. Family and Friends
4. Hobbies and Passions
10. Leaving a Legacy / Giving Back
You are part of an exclusive group of goalsters (someone who understands the importance of life goals)! This email is going out to 1591 email subscribers.
You are receiving this email because you expressed an interest in life goals and receiving the Goal Setting Worksheet. Remove your email by clicking unsubscribe below at any time.
Quotes on Goal SettingThe following are some great quotes from Brian Tracy, one of my early mentors, fellow Canadian, and a legend in the self help business:
"Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement." - Brian Tracy
"Goals help you channel your energy into action. They help you overcome procrastination and they help you stay focused on what's important." - Brian Tracy
"Goals help you to achieve more in a shorter period of time than you would otherwise. They provide a sense of purpose and direction, and they help you to organize your resources and your time." - Brian Tracy
"Goals help you to set priorities, and to make decisions that are in line with your values and your long-term objectives." - Brian Tracy
"Setting goals helps you to take ownership of your own development, and to take control of your own career. It helps you to become proactive, rather than reactive, in your work and in your life." - Brian Tracy
"Goals help you to measure your progress and to celebrate your achievements. They provide a sense of accomplishment and a sense of fulfillment." - Brian Tracy
Goals are better than resolutions!As the New Year approaches, many people begin to reflect on the past year and set goals for the year ahead. While New Year's resolutions are a common tradition, setting specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound goals (also known as SMART goals - see below goal setting tip for more details on how to set) can be a more effective way to make positive changes in your life. Here are five key benefits of setting goals versus making New Year's resolutions:
1. Goals provide focus and direction: By setting specific, measurable goals, you can focus your efforts and stay on track towards achieving your objectives. This can help you to stay motivated and avoid becoming overwhelmed or distracted by unrelated tasks. Use my goal setting work sheet to focus your goal setting into the 10 goal categories.
2. Goals are more likely to be achieved: Research has shown that people who set goals are more likely to achieve them compared to those who rely on New Year's resolutions. This is because goals are typically more specific and actionable, making it easier to take the necessary steps towards achieving them.
3. Goals promote personal growth: Setting and achieving goals can help you to grow and develop as a person. By setting goals that challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone, you can learn new skills, build confidence, and become more self-aware. The first ten Personal Development goals are the first category of goals at 100 Goals Club as I view them to be the most important.
4. Goals can help to increase productivity: By setting clear goals, you can prioritize your tasks and allocate your time and resources more effectively. This can help you to be more productive and achieve more in less time. I will be including daily review of my annual goals during my morning power hour and incorporate them into my "Commit to 3" tasks for the day. I downloaded the "Commit to 3" app from my iPhone and find this very helpful.
5. Goals will lead to a sense of accomplishment: Achieving your goals will provide a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. This should boost your confidence and self-esteem, and can serve as motivation to set and achieve even more goals in the future.
In summary, setting specific, measurable goals can be a more effective way to make positive changes in your life compared to making New Year's resolutions. Most people have already broken their new years resolutions within the first 30 days of the new year. By focusing your efforts on annual goals, increasing your productivity, and experiencing a sense of accomplishment, you will set yourself up for success in the New Year and beyond.
The 10 Goal CategoriesThe 10 goal categories are chosen to reflect all key areas of a life well-lived. Completion of goals in each of these categories will ensure that you never forget about important areas in your life. It's okay that certain goal categories (or number of goals) dominate in any particular year, as long as you don't forget about goal categories over say a 2-3 year period.
1. PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT - Success in life begins with your own commitment to personal growth, which is the reason it is first. Investing time into growing as a person and developing yourself, will help your life immensely in all of the other life goal categories.
2. HEALTH AND FITNESS - Without good health, the rest of your goal accomplishments and life suffer. No-one else is going to look after your health, but you. If you've ever been sick of suffer from poor heath, returning to good health is priority number one. Plan this area of your life well by writing out 10 health and fitness goals now.
3. FAMILY AND FRIENDS - There is no point in being successful with your career and lifestyle goals without a strong foundation of family and friends. At the end of your life, it will be very evident that the only things that truly matter are your friends and family. Live your life by putting making them a priority.
4. HOBBIES AND PASSIONS - These are the things you truly love doing. These need to be prominent in your life, otherwise they will fall victim to your career. Your hobbies and passions are what make you unique, and give you immense happiness. There are literally hundreds of different options for you. Find your uniqueness.
5. FINANCIAL - Developing financial goals and understanding how money really works is essential to living your life. It is especially important if you are to fulfill all or the majority of your 100 life goals. There are time proven principles with money that if applied in your life, will help you become financially wealthy, whether you have high income employment or not. Let time be on your side by developing good financial habits now.
6. CAREER - Selecting your career path is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. Not only is it essential to your income, it is where you will devote the vast majority of the time in your life. Learn how to set career goals will help you excel and grow.
7. ADVENTURE - Think about your life as an adventure you design yourself. There are so many exciting things to do and experience in your lifetime. Write out 10 specific goals related to adventure that you will accomplish in the next decade, or lifetime. Consider adventures on land, in water and in the air.
8. TRAVEL - Being able to travel and explore the world is one of life's rewards. We live in a time where travel has never been so easy. With some good planning, create your personalized list of 10 travel goals to experience life and the world in a way that is exciting and bold. Experience different cultures, people, architecture, food, nature and entertainment. Create your bucket list of where you will go.
9. LIFESTYLE - One of the great differentiators and rewards in life is that of living a great lifestyle. Lifestyle can mean so many different things to each of us, from the manner in which you live, to the type of house you live in, to the type of experiences you enjoy. Decide what lifestyle is right for you and write out 10 personalized lifestyle goals.
10. LEAVING A LEGACY - Finally, the Giving Back and Leaving a Legacy goal category is about leaving the world a better place and thinking less about yourself and more about the impact you'll make, are making and will leave behind.
EACH YEAR, USE MY GOAL SETTING WORKSHEET AND THE "ANNUAL POWER PAGE" TAB FOR RECORDING THIS YEAR'S GOALS IN EACH OF THESE TEN CATEGORIES.
Look at your 100 Life Goals as a MASTER LIST of goals you review each year before deciding which of your specific life goals will you will focus us in any given year.
A great time to do this is a the beginning of each new year (like now).
My Goals for 2023As promised in my last newsletter, following is an extract from my wife Kathy and my goals for 2023. We have more than 30 goals across the 10 Goal Categories. My wife and I took approximately 2 hours over the last week in coming up with these goals while reviewing the GOALS "ANNUAL POWER PAGE" tab in my Goal Setting Worksheet. THIS ANNUAL POWER PAGE IS EASY TO USE. IF YOU HAVEN'T TRIED USING IT, YOU MUST DO SO! Email me if questions at email@example.com.
Each of these numbered goals are directly linked to the 100 Life Goals in my book and www.100goalsclub.com website. Each number is associated with a specific life goal topic. Reference your goal setting worksheet, 100 GoalsClub website or 100 Life Goals book for details.
1 Develop the habit of reading daily M-F. Target 1 hour / day 3 Attend at least one personal development seminar (i.e. Jordan Peterson, Tony Robbins . . . )
4. Redevelop and commit to Power Hour M-F to include: Task List review, Commit to 3, Stretching, Goal Review . . .
5 Focus on learning and applying the lessons from Jordan Peterson's book "12 Rules For Life" 9 Create my 60th milestone Goal list (bucket list) for our next 10 years
HEALTH & FITNESS
13 Log 20 bike rides and track at least 400 Km of total distance. Work out twice per week using the Fitness Blender program (YouTube)
14 Develop a weight program that I perform min 2X per week.
17 Relearn my Goju Ryu Karate Katas from 30 years ago, White Belt to Black Belt
19 Research and sign-up for a co-ed recreational team for Kathy and I in 23 (Redo from 2022)
FAMILY, FRIENDS AND SOCIAL
24 Add some more variety into our date nights
25 VHS to digital conversions of old family videos
27 Establish a cottage weekend tradition with family.
HOBBIES AND PASSIONS
34 Get back into regular hiking (i.e. Waterfalls of Ontario)
35 Compile some amazing Apple Music playlists for different occassions (i.e. cottage, entertaining, workout, family get togethers etc.)
38 Subscribe to a JamZone app and practice 3X week (or daily) using this as a building block. (JamZone is an amazing program that allows musicians to practice along to more than 50,000 songs, isolating just the musical instruments that you want to practice with)
43 Review all expenses and minimize or eliminate unnecessary expenses.
69 Plan/take a 2-3 day driving adventure in 2023 (i.e. Nashville, NY, Boston, new etc.)
73 Attend a major sporting event in Toronto (i.e. soccer, football, baseball etc)
74 Attend a TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) event.
77 Plan 2024 cruise to Alaska
80 Plan, travel to and explore Portugal for ~ 2-3 weeks with friends
81 Eat at 10 "You've got to eat Here" places
82 Declutter / purge at least 5 clutter areas in our house
83 Take 3 overnight getaways throughout the year
87 Complete electrical, plumbing and working bath in our Beach House by June 1st, 2023.
GIVING BACK, LEAVING A LEGACY
91 Keep journaling daily M-F
97 Create weekly responses to Storyworth website and publish family book.
This extract of goals are likely too numerous unless you are retired or unemployed. I give myself a "B-" on goal completion for 2022 where I had a total of 31 goals. This year I've added more and you'd think I'd learn a lesson on setting too many goals. But better to be over ambitious and then less so!
Goal Setting Worksheet - Annual Goals Power PageThe above is the extract using my Goals Power Page last year from 2022 to better illustrate how to use the goal setting worksheet to create annual goals. For 2023, go into the sheet and update the 2022 in Red to 2023, clearing your prior 2022 goals to start fresh for 2023.
Goal Achievement Tip - SMARTOne of the best tips for setting life goals that will improve your life is to make sure they are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. This is known as the SMART criteria for goal setting.
Specific: Your goals should be clear and specific, so that you know exactly what you are working towards.
Measurable: Your goals should be measurable, so that you can track your progress and know when you have achieved them.
Achievable: Your goals should be realistic and achievable, given your current resources and constraints.
Relevant: Your goals should be relevant to your life and aligned with your values and priorities.
Time-bound: Your goals should have a timeline, so that you have a sense of urgency and can stay motivated to work towards them.
By following the SMART criteria, you can set goals that are more likely to be successful and lead to positive changes in your life.
Use my goal setting worksheet to create GOALS that meet these essential criteria. When you set goals for 2023, you are automatically meeting the "T" in timebound.
Visit my web page for further helpful hints on SMART goal setting:
What are some of your 2023 Goals?I'd love to hear from you about any special goals you'll be striving to achieve in 2023. Send me a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org and share with me some of your past or future goal successes or challenges.
Next newsletter . . .My next newsletter will be on February 1st 2023 where I will discuss the importance of Personal Development along with my top recommendations for 2023!
Brian Klodt founder of the 100 Goals Club
CREATE YOUR HAPPY LIFE! https://www.100goalsclub.com
P.S. Forward this newsletter to someone you care about who is not currently a member of the 100 Goals Club!
|Back to Back Issues Page|