55 - Be a good employee . . . and watch your career flourish!
Reason for this Goal to be a good employee: Most of us aspire to have a successful
career. While working for a company as
an employee, there are things you can do to become more promotable within your
company. A good employee is what
all employers seek, and you will be rewarded for it.
9 ways to be a good employee
- Be the one your boss depends on to get something done - Your boss will recognize and reward employees who can be depended upon to get something done.
- Develop a sense of urgency for the things that your boss asks - When a boss asks for something, you can assume that they are looking for it right away unless otherwise specified. Treat their request with high priority.
- Become the go-to person for others - When other managers or people in authority start recognizing you as as "go-to" person, you know that you have earned their trust and have the reputation as someone who will get things done. This can be a good thing.
- Take advantage of opportunities to expand your knowledge - Don't wait to be asked. Those that are constantly on the look out to expand their knowledge will advance must faster than those that don't. Read and ask lots of questions.
- Become focused on continuous improvement - Once you are in a position long enough to understand job requirements, you'll also understand processes that are in need of improvement. Embrace the challenge of continuous improvement and you'll be recognized within your department as someone who is trying to move the business forward.
- Be the person that does more than you’re paid to do (within reason) - Boss's appreciate those that are willing to work more than the traditional 9am to 5pm hours. They take notice of people that put in extra time and effort when it is important to do so.
- Look for ways to generate more income or cut costs - Companies are in business to make profit for the owners and shareholders. If you look out for ways to help the business make more money, or cut operating costs, the business will generate higher profit. Most employees are in a position to help identify areas to help in this.
- Lead without title (be a leader regardless of your position) - You don't need to have a supervisor, manager or director tile to be a leader. We all are leaders in some respects and should view ourself as such. Take ownership of your position and treat it as if you are the "president" of your own job.
- Improve your communication skills (verbal, written, speaking, etc.) - Those with good communication skills will get noticed and will rise up through the ranks much quicker than those without.
A good company and a good boss will reward you for exhibiting the above characteristics and characterize you as a good employee. If not, it is time to move on. The number one reason people leave their positions at a company are because they don’t feel respected or appreciated by their boss.
KEY QUOTE from the book "The Magic of Thinking Big"
"Initiative is a special kind of action. It's doing something worth-while without being told to do it. The person with initiative has a standing invitation to join the high-income brackets in every business and profession"
The best investment you can make in yourself is through becoming a better person. Self-help learning (reading, attending workshops, etc.) will help you in all areas of your life, and you should see a direct correlation to your income. See personal development goals for 10 specific goals to help you develop personally, which will help you be a good employee.
Suggested Goal(s): Be the best employee in your department.
Your Outrageous Goal: Be promoted to a senior position within your company.
Return to career goals.
Last Updated: January 25, 2020