Reason for this Goal: There are 7 wonders of the world, tracked against both remarkable natural and man-made categories. Once you know about these, it’s instinctive to want to know what they are and to see some of these throughout your lifetime.
There is some debate about what actually constitutes the
true 7 Wonders of the World.
Below are the accepted variations:
1. Channel Tunnel – Longest undersea tunnel, between UK and France
2. CN Tower – Tallest freestanding structure in the world, Toronto CA (1976–2007)
3. Empire State Building – Tallest structure in the world, NY USA (1931–1967)
4. Golden Gate Bridge – The longest suspension bridge span in the world, San Francisco USA (1937–1964)
5. Itaipu Dam – The largest operating hydroelectric facility – Parana River between Brazil and Paraguay
6. Delta Worlds/Zuiderzee Works – The largest hydraulic engineering project undertaken by the Netherlands during the 20th century
7. Panama Canal – One of the largest and most difficult engineering projects ever undertaken, Panama (1880–1914)
1. Aurora – Northern lights, predominantly seen from the Arctic and Antarctic regions
2. Grand Canyon, Arizona USA – 277 miles long, with a depth up to 1 mile (6,093 feet)
3. Great Barrier Reef – The world’s largest coral reef system, located off the coast of Queensland, Australia
4. Harbor of Rio de Janeiro, Guanabara Bay
5. Mount Everest – The earth’s highest mountain (8,844m), between China and Nepal
6. Paricutin volcano, Mexico
7. Victoria Falls – The world’s largest waterfall, in southern Africa, on the Zambezi river, between Zambia and Zimbabwe
1. Great Wall of China, China – Since 7th century BC
2. Petra, Jordan – c. 100 BC
3. Christ the Redeemer, Brazil – Opened October 12, 1931
4. Maccu Piccu, Peru – c. AD 1450
5. Chichen Itza, Mexico – c. AD 600
6. Colosseum, Italy – Completed AD 80
7. Taj Mahal, India – Completed c. AD 1648
8. Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt – c. 2560 BC (honorary candidate)
There are many other recognized lists and variations of these lists. Whenever you travel, check these lists and, if you find yourself travelling to an area where one of these wonders exists, make sure you go out of your way to visit in person.
Suggested Goal(s): Visit one of these 7 wonders of the world, every decade.
Your Outrageous Goal: Visit all of these wonders of the world, throughout your lifetime.
My wife and I have visited the CN Tower, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Colosseum in Italy, so far on our travel journeys. I can attest to the lasting memory that these wonders will have on you. They are truly remarkable.
Return to travel goals.