71 - Take a staycation (be a local tourist) . . . in your own town or city!
Reason for this Goal and what is a staycation?: One of
the opportunities that many of us miss out on is to be a tourist in our own
area in which we live. Some of us live
in or near a city that tourists from all over come to visit, but because it’s
in our own backyard, we don’t think
to visit it ourselves.
Why not make a goal to visit all these places and
explore them? Take a staycation.
It is inexpensive from a travel perspective, and it would be an
accomplishment to be knowledgeable and be proud of our local surroundings.
What is a staycation . . . and where to do it!
A staycation is the most affordable way to travel. From your home base, explore all the amazing places that surround your town or city.
Explore the nearest tourist information office nearest to you. It could be in your own town or city, or within an hour radius of where you live. Make a list of all the places that are considered attractions to visit. Examples include:
- Historic buildings - I love to visit historic buildings. The older the better. I am fascinated by old buildings and their architecture.
- Natural conservation areas or hiking trails - There are lots of reasons and benefits of hiking. See goal to develop a calm mind.
- Museums - If you live anywhere a museum, take the time to visit it. Learn about everything you can inside the museum. Knowledge is power.
- Botanical Gardens - Most major areas feature a Botanical Gardens where you can explore a vast area of plan life, flowers, and botanicals.
- Theatres - Instead of gifting material items, book an outing for you and a loved one to a theatre event.
- Concert Halls or venues - For me, there is nothing better than watching live music in a concert hall. If you are fortunate to live near one, book tickets to watch music which you love, with a loved one!
- Animal sanctuaries, aquariums, zoos - One of the 100 goals is to connect with and take an animal adventure. If you live near such a place, experience it first hand.
- Amusement parks - Young or old, take the time to experience and enjoy the thrills and excitement of an amusement park. You can experience a multitude of entertainment beyond the rides. Shows, water parks, music, food and much more!
- Spas or resorts - Some of the best spas and possibly resorts reside in great cities all around the world. If you are fortunate to live near these, visit them. Sometimes we don't appreciate the things that are closest to us.
The amount of money you will save through a staycation is significant, as you'll avoid the air travel and hotel expense. Learn to appreciate what is a staycation and visit the ways to staycation in your own town, city or region!
Suggested Goal(s): Visit the top 5 local attractions nearest to where you live.
Your Outrageous Goal: Visit every local attraction in your area, within a 1-hour radius.
Return to travel goals and the benefits of travelling.
Last updated: January 1, 2020